Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paxton Lynch

Paxton Lynch

Does anyone have any idea of what the Steelers think of this guy? I know most here consider him to be a bum, but some of the same people want to give Mason a long rope, despite the fact that he's no more proven than Lynch. Unlike Mason, they don't have to sell us a story that they had a first round grade on him, Lynch actually was a first rounder. He hardly played in Denver, so unless he's shown nothing in practice, do you bring him back, and let him battle Mason for the number 2 spot (especially if we can't get a decent veteran backup in here). With Ben's elbow, I just can't see going into next season with no option at all behind Ben, besides Rudolph.

I agree, we should at least see what he can do in camp.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by t-man View Post
    I agree, we should at least see what he can do in camp.

Joe
    Since we weren't in the market for an early round qb when he came out, I basically didn't do any research on him. Looking back at the various pre-draft reports, they all pretty much agree on the main items. Physically gifted in most areas, but quite raw. In other words, a guy with potential, but one that would require patience. Not a guy to be put out there right away. I guess it comes down to what the team saw during practice. If they really believe he is the guy described in the pre-draft reports, and that Denver messed him up by running him out there before he was ready, could this guy do a Drew Brees, and suddenly "get it", and live up to his pedigree? The perfect outcome might be for Ben to stay healthy, while Lynch, and Rudolph battle for the two spot. The Steelers should know by the end of next year if we have Ben's successor on the roster, or if it's time to draft a qb high.

I sure it will all play out in preseason.

The Following User Likes This Post:

j t barrett still around?

Quote Originally Posted by stillerfaninfl View Post
    j t barrett still around?
    He is listed along with BB, MR, Duck, and Lynch.

I'm all for him getting the nod unless of course someone BEATS him out. I'd love to see him uproot any and all on the roster........ Who wouldn't ?

Ben is HOF and one hell of a tough SOB but Father Time will catch him sooner than later. Two years will be pushing it but Paxton may only need this TC and tootleage under BEN to break loose.

As said, it will all play out but one can hope and unless Rednose reigndeer got a chipper hammer to break lose some of that concrete stuck to his cleats, he's going nowhere.

PeAce

Salute the nation
    If YOUR life isn't offering any smiles, you need to change your lifestyle!!! :)

It would be a huge mistake not to have Lynch back for OTA's, mini-camp and camp. He should be battling Rudolph and Duck for one of our 3 QB spots. I actually think he can bump Duck back off the team. Not sure if he will unseat Rudolph but with a full off-season under his belt, you never know.

Of all the shitty Steeler backup quarterbacks, he's the backup quarterbackiest.

not like there are a lot of choices at the moment. Not a lot of money to spend so any backup is probably not going to be all that good. Reality is its all in on Ben. If he gets hurt, we are screwed.

Drafting QBs is a crapshoot. Some drafted early are good, some take time to develop, some never pan out for various reasons (mostly having to do with accuracy IMO). I'm all for giving Lynch a shot at the backup job. He may turn out to be one of those who need more time and practice to be NFL ready. If not - we haven't invested anything in him so no big deal if he washes out. Plus, its not like any of the other guys has separated from the pack and solidified the job. The more decent prospects you have competing for the backup slot - the better the chances are that one of them will turn out to be "the guy".

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Lynch didn't start much in Denver and Elway seems like a douche in the mode of how Cleveland has ruined QB's over the last couple decades. Now, no other teams wanted Lynch but I see no reason not to give him a chance with a full offseason and camp. He came in during the season and I don't think anyone really thought he would beat out the 2 QB's we had that were on the team during all of last years offseason programs. Lynch probably didn't get much practice time when he did get here either. So, again, give him the entire offseason and I think he will unseat Duck (based on what we saw this past season) unless Duck comes back much better and stronger than last year.

He's no Mason Rudolph or Devlin Hodges.

Quote Originally Posted by TDX27 View Post
    Lynch didn't start much in Denver and Elway seems like a douche in the mode of how Cleveland has ruined QB's over the last couple decades. Now, no other teams wanted Lynch but I see no reason not to give him a chance with a full offseason and camp. He came in during the season and I don't think anyone really thought he would beat out the 2 QB's we had that were on the team during all of last years offseason programs. Lynch probably didn't get much practice time when he did get here either. So, again, give him the entire offseason and I think he will unseat Duck (based on what we saw this past season) unless Duck comes back much better and stronger than last year.
    Totally agree with this. The guy was a very high draft pick for a reason. Denver has run through several young qbs since manning retired, not showing patience with any of them, and he got caught up in that mix. This is playing with house money. If he flops, you've lost nothing, but if it turns out that Elway screwed this guy up, you might end up with a franchise qb. Unlike the guys we ran out there this year, this guy pretty much has all of the physical tools. Why wouldn't you give him a long look.

Having Lynch in the mix is another reason we absolutely need a good QB coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    He's no Mason Rudolph or Devlin Hodges.

Could be why they call him Paxton Lynch....................Just saying......... ;)

Salute the nation
    If YOUR life isn't offering any smiles, you need to change your lifestyle!!! :)

People dismissing Lynch are probably forgetting how happy/amazed we were when the Steelers brought in another Broncos scrap heap QB and he gave us average play at the position. If we had Tommy Gun level play last season, we may have won a couple of more games. Hopefully, Canada can help one or more them get there

Having Canada should be huge. They will be able to work on their mechanics and things like that during the offseason program. You can't understate the importance of the offseason programs for young QB's.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    People dismissing Lynch are probably forgetting how happy/amazed we were when the Steelers brought in another Broncos scrap heap QB and he gave us average play at the position. If we had Tommy Gun level play last season, we may have won a couple of more games. Hopefully, Canada can help one or more them get there
    Lynch has played 5 games in 4 seasons. He didn't play for an NFL team in 2018 and Tomlin said he wasn't ready to play over Duck Hodges at the end of the season even though he was on the practice squad since September.

I read a quote from a Steeler coach around the end of the season concerning Paxton Lynch stating that they fully expect him to be around through training camp next year to at least give him a chance to learn the offense fully before they make any decisions on him. At least by the sound of it he will get a shot to compete with a full pre season in the system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast