Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cowher’s HOF berth means Tomlin on that track ?

Blog Entries
    Dial 8 to get out and then dial 8 again...….

Non losing season my ass.

The Following User Likes This Post:

I mean look at andy reid... that guy supplants shottenheimer as the best coach not to make the hall if he never wins a super bowl... coached for 20 years, made the playoffs 14 times, won a playoff game in nine different seasons only had five non winning seasons and has masterminded some of the best offenses in nfl history... one super bowl loss to show for it

Quote Originally Posted by Steelr4evr View Post
    Not to mention Cowher got fucking cheated by the gd pa*ts* in our games. His superbowl record could very well have another win or two if not for those fucks.
    People forget the Broncos circumventing the Salary Cap cheating in 1997 as well

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Why on Earth would anyone not want him to make Hall of Fame?

It would likely require additional success & hater or not; if that includes another Super Bowl win hell yeah

The Following 5 Users Like This Post:

FNG

Tomlin has gone 11years with no hardware. And any hardware he got was with the nucleus of Cowhers super bowl team of 2005. Now he’s not winning 10 games a season anymore and he’s not making the playoffs.. yeah, that’s HOF worthy.

So here is the thing... its hard enough for coaches to get in... tomlin will have potential competition with
    Harbaugh, Carrol, Payton, Reid if he ever wins a super bowl, mccarthy, coughlin, i mean there are a metric ton of guys who grade out close to Tomlin and more winning and they probably surpass him.... not even counting all of the older guys that were bubble dudes like JJ or shanny or Seifert...

Siefert is a great comparison because he has a sterling Regular season and playoff record and won two super bowls...
    Basically everyone touted him as a hof type while he coached, but once he retired the image became more that he won with walsh’s team and he got snubbed....

Tomlin needs to separate... he doesn’t have any serious innovations or success as a coordinator to booster him, so he better separate from those others with more super bowl appearances... cause with the anti Steelers bias he could easily get lost in the wash...

Remember,

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Jimmy Johnson joins ol Bill as a HOFer just now.

Interesting...........
    Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
    See my heart I decorate it like a grave
    You don't understand who they thought
    I was supposed to be
    Look at me now a man
    Who won't let himself be

the longer he coaches, the less chance he has

The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tapeANaspirin2it View Post
    If Tomlin fizzles out and doesn't win another Super Bowl then he won't make the Hall. If that happened, then it would be damn hard to ignore how he won early with his inherited team and then was mostly average after that. All despite having a hall of fame QB for most of the time.

Cowher gets credit because football people know how much he got the steelers to overachieve prior to Ben. Nearly beating a dynasty Cowboy team with Neil O'Donnell. Nearly getting to the SB with Kordell. Winning with Tommy Maddox.

Also, it must have been taken into account that Cowher retired early due to his wife's illness. So while he may only have 1 SB win, it's safe to assume he would have won at least 1 more with Ben. I personally think he may have ended up with 3 or 4 SB wins if life hadn't intervened.
    I’m not disagreeing with your comment, but it is worth pointing out that Cowher’s wife didn’t receive her cancer diagnosis until 2010; she then passed 5-6 months later. He didnt retire because of her illness; he was spent, from a professional standpoint, and hung ‘em up. I know many believe that to be the case, but it didn’t unfold that way.

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by strat68 View Post
    “And had long term national exposure on CBS after he retired”

Is a huge plus for borderline candidates. Kurt Warner is a prime example.

Throw Steve Young, and Terrell Davis in that mix too.

Tomlin will be first ballot HOF coach. Yes, his record is one thing. The other is (and I hate to say the racecard) but I believe next to Tony Dungy- he’s the most successful African American coach. Noll, Cowher and Tomlin all in the HOF in succession of each other says a lot about this organization.

Quote Originally Posted by chipped ham View Post
    I’m not disagreeing with your comment, but it is worth pointing out that Cowher’s wife didn’t receive her cancer diagnosis until 2010; she then passed 5-6 months later. He didnt retire because of her illness; he was spent, from a professional standpoint, and hung ‘em up. I know many believe that to be the case, but it didn’t unfold that way.
    He retired because Art didn't want to pay him what the guy he just beat in the Super Bowl was going to get paid.

Cowher took over a losing team, had a losing record in 4 of the previous 7 seasons. And immediately had the best record in the AFC

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    He retired because Art didn't want to pay him what the guy he just beat in the Super Bowl was going to get paid.

Cowher took over a losing team, had a losing record in 4 of the previous 7 seasons. And immediately had the best record in the AFC

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app
    11-5, 9-7, 12-4, and 11-5 during his first four seasons. Nothing to sneeze at, but I don’t think that is the best record in the AFC. Here’s what Bill said about why he left. I’ve never heard the bit about him feeling underpaid or under appreciated.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...ner--40847451/

Different men. Tomlin danced away on the sideline when he interfered, Cowher pulled a punch. Cowher broke Jeff Fishers's leg when he tackled him. Tomlin, well whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Falco View Post
    Noll, Cowher and Tomlin all in the HOF in succession of each other says a lot about this organization.
    It says everything you need to know about this organization, it defines this organization.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    As I recall at the time, the take was that Cowher was burnt out and didn't want to coach any more so he asked for more money than he knew the Rooney's would pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Cras108er View Post
    11-5, 9-7, 12-4, and 11-5 during his first four seasons. Nothing to sneeze at, but I don’t think that is the best record in the AFC. Here’s what Bill said about why he left. I’ve never heard the bit about him feeling underpaid or under appreciated.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...ner--40847451/

11-5 was the #1 seed in the AFC, that was what I was saying, took over a losing team and immediately had the best record in the AFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    As I recall at the time, the take was that Cowher was burnt out and didn't want to coach any more so he asked for more money than he knew the Rooney's would pay.
    I'll have to look around, I know I read/heard somewhere that Art II didn't want to give Cowher a raise to match Holmgren.

Boy the Cowher haters from back in the day are probably losing their shit about him getting into the HOF.

Tomlin sucks (tm)