Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Devlin Hodges

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    The only think Dobbs has going for him, is he's cheap and he's under contract for 2 more years. The cap cut or trade would actually be Rudolph, who is signed until 2021. He is already paid more than Dobbs and his salary escalates bu $200k each year after this.

If you're going for years, Rudolph and Hodges are the choice.

If you're going for cap savings, you go with Dobbs and Hodges.

If the Steelers can get a 4th or 5th for Dobbs, they should move him. Anything higher is a no brainer.

I'm with yaz Cope, a fifth today VS a cut down the road. I know the Coaches / you / several others here KNOW way more than I do but I'm tired of seeing the STEELERS hold onto a guy and then eventually get nothing in return. I understand it's easy to say take a 5th. BUT then finding a trade partner willing old be a lot harder to do so I'd put feelers out and see though.

Salute the nation

The Following User Likes This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by slashsteel View Post
    That third year more than often is the glimpse of things to come positively or negativity. Every once and awhile someone is a late bloomer but that is a rarity.
    I agree, the time is now for Dobbs to show he's able to take that proverbial next step. I will say one thing, we've likely never had - and never will have - a smarter player on the Steelers than Dobbs. He's literally a rocket scientist. He's a stand-up cat and great in the community. I have a lot of respect for him as a man, just not sure he's gonna cut it as a QB in the NFL.

The Following 6 Users Like This Post:

Here We GO!!!

Dobbs looks like Dobbs from 2 years ago, not Dobbs from last year. He made better decisions last year in preseason.

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

That interception was so horrible, the defender almost dropped it because he was stunned Dobbs missed that badly on such a short, easy throw. The throw to Rogers was excellent, but the rest of his night was “meh” at best. IMO, he has to be much better to even make the roster. But, we are talking about the Steelers here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    I agree, the time is now for Dobbs to show he's able to take that proverbial next step. I will say one thing, we've likely never had - and never will have - a smarter player on the Steelers than Dobbs. He's literally a rocket scientist. He's a stand-up cat and great in the community. I have a lot of respect for him as a man, just not sure he's gonna cut it as a QB in the NFL.
    Quarterbacks need to be smart enough, but they also need to be able to throw with velocity, timing, and accuracy. They also need to be able to perform under pressure, both situational pressure, and physical pressure. Brains don't help you with that. If being smart was all it took, the league would be filled with guys from the Ivy League, and Stanford. That's why Ryan Fitzpatrick has never been anything more than a journeyman in the league, despite being extremely smart. I don't think Terry Bradshaw is dumb, but he's obviously no rocket scientist. He has 4 rings.

Quote Originally Posted by steelermania View Post
    Quarterbacks need to be smart enough, but they also need to be able to throw with velocity, timing, and accuracy. They also need to be able to perform under pressure, both situational pressure, and physical pressure. Brains don't help you with that. If being smart was all it took, the league would be filled with guys from the Ivy League, and Stanford. That's why Ryan Fitzpatrick has never been anything more than a journeyman in the league, despite being extremely smart. I don't think Terry Bradshaw is dumb, but he's obviously no rocket scientist. He has 4 rings..

Isn't that the same number of letters in C-A-T-T.?

Salute the nation

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steelermania View Post
    It's still early, but you have to figure he now has a chance to make the team. If he plays this well the next two games, I'm keeping him over Dobbs, not just because I think he's better than Dobbs, but because I think he might be able to eventually give Rudolph a run for his money. Some players just have IT, you can't always put a finger on it, but it's there. I think Rudolph can be a starter in this league, but I see him as being an Andy Dalton level starter, a bit better than O'Donnell. You could do much worse (Kyle Boller, or any Cleveland qb before Mayfield), but I don't see him becoming elite. He'll win games with a good team around him, but can he work some magic when games against big teams are on the line. It's early, but I see some Drew Brees in Hodges. Maybe he'll fall on his face the next two games, and be lucky to win a spot on the practice squad, but I don't think so.
    Rudolph's footwork look much improved last night.

Esteemed Throbbing Member

Dobbs tries to be a pocket passer, even if he's very athletic and can pick up yards with his feet. He tries to stay in the pocket too long, which hurts his decision-making. When he has a hot read, he's much better. Still, his mechanics haven't gotten much better. Seems he regressed from last week to this week.

Last week he was money. This week, he was the Dobbs of old.

Hodges needs to see time against 2nd stringers before we can determine which of these guys to cut.

Rudolph looked average to me. Nothing special, but not trash either. Someone compared him to Dalton and that's pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
    Rudolph's footwork look much improved last night.
    He said they worked on that, his pocket presence and ability to move around to avoid the rush like crazy during the off-season. Sure looks like it's paying off. One thing about Rudolph, he strikes me as cocky and brash (which is not bad for a QB, but perhaps why Tomlin didn't want to say anything about him leapfrogging Dobbs).
    "Madness is the exception in individuals but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche

"We need to invent technology thatís never even been invented yet.Ē - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Rudolph looked average to me. Nothing special, but not trash either. Someone compared him to Dalton and that's pretty accurate.
    Really? I thought he looked good. His receivers did him no favors in the beginning, but they stuck with it and I loved that long drive that ended in the Samuels TD. Guy seems poised, calm in the pocket and can get the ball to his targets. I'm not sure if he even made any glaring mistakes. Seems like a good first start to me.

"We need to invent technology thatís never even been invented yet.Ē - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steelworth View Post
    Really? I thought he looked good. His receivers did him no favors in the beginning, but they stuck with it and I loved that long drive that ended in the Samuels TD. Guy seems poised, calm in the pocket and can get the ball to his targets. I'm not sure if he even made any glaring mistakes. Seems like a good first start to me.
    Rudolph is still a work in progress, but he is exponential better this year than he was as a rookie. I've been very impressed with his growth as a quarterback.

I don't see anyone offering a 5th for dobbs. Has hodges played against any talent?

They won't cut dobbs or Rudolph. Last night's game gave the #2 edge to Rudolph. i think.

You could do worse than an aeronautical engineer holding you clipboard and helping the other qbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    Dobbs has a lot of Dennis Dixon to his game.
    Man, this dude had wheels and a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by ark steel View Post
    I don't see anyone offering a 5th for dobbs.
    Honestly, I don't see it as it stands today but that can all change with an injury or two after third preseason game.

I know Hodges is one of the popular diamonds in the rough right now, but he has played against the same level of guys he was successful with against in college (i.e., a lot of guys who will not be on rosters in about 15 days.) My only view of the guy is in 2 preseason games and not in practices and other team functions, but from what I have seen, I do want to see him play against the next tier up. Seems to me that would answer a lot of questions about Hodges ceiling. The next question is really team philosophy - what do you want as your 3rd string QB? I mean, if you the Steelers, do you see this guy developing into the next Landry Jones? Do you even want that at this stage or do you want a guy with some experience and can run the scout team? (Dale pointed out in one article, that Dobbs can run scout team much like some of the mobile QB's such as the kid in Baltimore).

The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
    Man, this dude had wheels and a gun.

Just needed a stronger knee, Oh and maybe more between the ears.

Salute the nation

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    Do you even want that at this stage or do you want a guy with some experience and can run the scout team? (Dale pointed out in one article, that Dobbs can run scout team much like some of the mobile QB's such as the kid in Baltimore).
    Good point.

Esteemed Throbbing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steelworth View Post
    I didn't say he looked bad. Just looked like an average NFL QB.
    I've been most impressed by Hodges.

Of the 3 QBs we have behind Ben, which would you rather our defense NOT face? In order, for me:
    Hodges
    Rudolph
    Dobbs

But, must also consider that Hodges hasnt faced the same level of comp that the others have.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    I didn't say he looked bad. Just looked like an average NFL QB.
    I've been most impressed by Hodges.

Of the 3 QBs we have behind Ben, which would you rather our defense NOT face? In order, for me:
    Hodges
    Rudolph
    Dobbs

But, must also consider that Hodges hasnt faced the same level of comp that the others have.
    That touchdown pass that Hodges threw to Johnson with the pressure right in his face, and before Johnson came out of his break was Ben roethlisberger-like. I'd like to see him do it against the 1s like Mason first. But what a nice problem to have on your hands.

Cut Dobbs, keep the other two

Here We GO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    Honestly, I don't see it as it stands today but that can all change with an injury or two after third preseason game.

I know Hodges is one of the popular diamonds in the rough right now, but he has played against the same level of guys he was successful with against in college (i.e., a lot of guys who will not be on rosters in about 15 days.) My only view of the guy is in 2 preseason games and not in practices and other team functions, but from what I have seen, I do want to see him play against the next tier up. Seems to me that would answer a lot of questions about Hodges ceiling. The next question is really team philosophy - what do you want as your 3rd string QB? I mean, if you the Steelers, do you see this guy developing into the next Landry Jones? Do you even want that at this stage or do you want a guy with some experience and can run the scout team? (Dale pointed out in one article, that Dobbs can run scout team much like some of the mobile QB's such as the kid in Baltimore).
    Great point about scout team QB Hoot. That may be a reason why the Steelers keep him.

I will say, there is a lot of low talent playing in the second half of football games. If you can't make plays against them, you don't deserve to move up. But the kid IS making plays. He should play the majority of game 4. Not sure if he plays at all in game 3, but Tomlin may do a QB each QTR? Ben won't play much 2 drives max, 1 for sure.