Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: El Paso TX Mass Shooting; 19 Dead, 40 Injured at Walmart

El Paso TX Mass Shooting; 19 Dead, 40 Injured at Walmart

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1039001

This shit is just completely out of control.
    "Madness is the exception in individuals but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche

"We need to invent technology that’s never even been invented yet.” - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Yep it is. But I don’t know how you fix it. I pray to God that I never know anyone that reaches a point in their life where this seems like a good idea. Nothing short of horrible. There just aren’t enough adjectives to describe the horror of this.

The Following User Likes This Post:

Way too much hate and intolerance. Need to find a way to just live and let live and at least be civil to one another. That's a pretty low bar but it's a start.

The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Yep it is. But I don’t know how you fix it. I pray to God that I never know anyone that reaches a point in their life where this seems like a good idea. Nothing short of horrible. There just aren’t enough adjectives to describe the horror of this.
    I don't know how you fix it either. I think some ideas to start would be seriously comprehensive background checks and mental health evaluations for any gun permit, across-the-board.

And stop posting the names and manifestos of these disgusting, hateful creatures. The New Zealand shooter's own words after the fact should have been a good indicator of how these monsters think. They want their 15 minutes of fame and it's definitely a copycat type of situation.

In the meantime, I guess like you said, pray pray and pray more.

"We need to invent technology that’s never even been invented yet.” - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Quote Originally Posted by JMM View Post
    Way too much hate and intolerance. Need to find a way to just live and let live and at least be civil to one another. That's a pretty low bar but it's a start.
    Seems like a common sense type of start.

Blog Entries
    A Walmart in Texas and no one is armed and shooting back?

They say that TV has nothing to do with the violence we see these days, I think that's a crock. I grew up with Andy Griffith, Sanford and Son, Green Acres, Beverly Hillbillies, Emergency! Three's Company, MASH, etc and nowadays it's pretty much either a talent show or a show where a ton of blood is shed or two sides are trying to kill each other. Hollywood isn't going to change though until people start turning off that crap.

The Following 7 Users Like This Post:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JMM View Post
    They say that TV has nothing to do with the violence we see these days, I think that's a crock. I grew up with Andy Griffith, Sanford and Son, Green Acres, Beverly Hillbillies, Emergency! Three's Company, MASH, etc and nowadays it's pretty much either a talent show or a show where a ton of blood is shed or two sides are trying to kill each other. Hollywood isn't going to change though until people start turning off that crap.
    I think people don't even watch TV much any more, especially young people. They play video games, many of which are violent. I don't play video games at all, they simply don't interest me.

If you allow tv/net to parent your children then sure. Understanding the difference between makebe leave and reality is where family comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    A Walmart in Texas and no one is armed and shooting back?
    I thought about that too but maybe it was just a lot of moms that were there for their kids back-to-school stuff. Seems crazy 20 souls (the updated #) had to lose their lives today over one active shooter though.

I read his manifesto. I wish I could post it here, but when I save it, the text is too small to read.
    It's basically a big rant against immigration, and that Hispanics are his target. He describes his choice of weapon, ak wasr 10. Fully expects to die by police, doesn't want to survive, won't surrender. This is nothing to do with Trump, hates dems and Republicans.
    Definitely a well educated guy.

Fucking idiot.
    Last edited by Steeler; 08-03-2019 at 08:19 PM.

Yeah I'm not sure how much TV and video games contribute to this. I remember during High School we would play Doom, Resident Evil, Halo etc. where all you did was blow shit up. And then we'd go watch The Shining, Halloween, TCSM etc. afterwards.

I think like Charles and others have mentioned, young people are over-medicated, families are too busy to be truly involved, and they're just finding there are overwhelming voids in their life they can't seem to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    I read his manifesto.
    That's the other problem IMO. Our media keeps giving them a platform. Keep them in obscurity where they belong.

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steelworth View Post
    I don't know how you fix it either. I think some ideas to start would be seriously comprehensive background checks and mental health evaluations for any gun permit, across-the-board.

And stop posting the names and manifestos of these disgusting, hateful creatures. The New Zealand shooter's own words after the fact should have been a good indicator of how these monsters think. They want their 15 minutes of fame and it's definitely a copycat type of situation.

In the meantime, I guess like you said, pray pray and pray more.
    This won't work IMO, it won't stop people from getting weapons illegally and could introduce biases from doctors. All the doctor who is against gun ownership has to do is say that you're not mentally fit enough to own a fire arm.

The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

Mental health program. Equals good stuff. Drug them and leave them. No

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    This won't work IMO, it won't stop people from getting weapons illegally and could introduce biases from doctors. All the doctor who is against gun ownership has to do is say that you're not mentally fit enough to own a fire arm.
    Good point I didn't think about. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironcitysteelers View Post
    Mental health program. Equals good stuff. Drug them and leave them. No
    Not sure if you were addressing my post but I sure as hell didn't say drug them and leave them. Quite the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelworth View Post
    Good point I didn't think about. Any ideas?
    Nothing really substantial. I think education on firearms is an appropriate step, as an example, for my son's 14th Bday I bought him classes at a local gun range. By the end of the class he was helping older people with their firearms. I think that education on how to handle a fire arm and the responsibility that comes along with it can go a long way. The hard reality is that you can't stop an evil person from doing evil things on a whim. Whether its a gun, knife, IED, or a pair of kitchen scissors, if they want to hurt people, they will. Regardless of laws and morality.

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

I posted somewhere else, and after I learned he was in custody ... I asked why? Why not take him out then and there? We can check his Facebook page and computer after the fact.

I was accused of being a bad guy for not wanting him captured and facing a trial. I was told 'welcome to North Korea'.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Nothing really substantial. I think education on firearms is an appropriate step, as an example, for my son's 14th Bday I bought him classes at a local gun range. By the end of the class he was helping older people with their firearms. I think that education on how to handle a fire arm and the responsibility that comes along with it can go a long way. The hard reality is that you can't stop an evil person from doing evil things on a whim. Whether its a gun, knife, IED, or a pair of kitchen scissors, if they want to hurt people, they will. Regardless of laws and morality.
    I think you hit the nail on the head there. Sad reality for families that we have to always look over our shoulder nowadays.