Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The most intimidating Steelers of all time

The most intimidating Steelers of all time

The Steelers probably have the most intimidating players of any franchise. Who would you include?

Greg Lloyd. As his sign used to proclaim: Just plain nasty. He wasn't the biggest linebacker out there, but boy
    did he know how to get the maximum impact from each and every pound of his body. Listed as 6-2, 228 pounds,
    he punished ball carriers and quarterbacks alike, using textbook leverage and cat-like quickness. His technique
    was finely-honed by practicing martial arts, such as Aikijujitsu and Fu Jow Pai. Lloyd was voted "most scary" by
    his NFL peers.

James Harrison. It took years for Harrison to earn playing time, but once he did, he terrorized NFL quarterbacks and
    ball carriers. Like Lloyd, his technique was influenced by the practice of martial arts and his weight lifting workouts
    became legendary, performing moves such as a standing, one-armed shoulder press with 135 pounds on an Olympic bar.
    (That is the long bar with 45-pound plates on each side.) Whatever Harrison hit was usually eviscerated (figuratively, of course).

Jack Lambert. While tall (6-4) this force was spindly, not big, weighing in at only 220 pounds. But make no mistake: He
    was an absolute terror with his vicious tackling and maniac demeanor. It didn't hurt his intimidating reputation that he
    was missing his front teeth. When future Hall of Fame Quarterback John Elway lined up to face Lambert for the first time,
    he admitted that he was thinking, "Why am I doing this for a living? I need to find another profession (instead of having to
    face this guy),"

Mean Joe Greene. He was literally the beginning of the Steelers transforming from doormats to dominance. When Greene
    arrived in Pittsburg, they were the laughingstock of the league. But that all changed when Mean Joe arrived. He was such
    a force on the defensive line that even double teams couldn't stop him from wreaking havoc in opponents' backfields. And
    make no mistake: The nice, elderly grandfather figure you see today was not so gentle in his playing days. Rumor has it he
    had to be stopped from bringing a screw driver on the field because he wanted payback on an opponent who had been playing dirty.

The Following User Likes This Post:

Link or source?
    She said, "Love me, " so I love her
    She said, "Leave me, " so I left
    Then I went to Pittsburgh
    And I ain't never comin' back

Lifetime Member

Troy P in his prime.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLITZ View Post
    Kent Graham scared the fuck out of me everytime he threw the ball
    Post of the week!!!

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bermudasteel View Post
    Troy P in his prime.
    I have always disagreed with the premise that TP was a hard hitter. He may have been intimidating to throw near, and he could take
    people to the ground fine, but I never thought he was a hitter who scared others in that way...not like Lloyd and Harrison.

Quote Originally Posted by slashsteel View Post
    Link or source?
    No link or source since it is my original content. But I did find this....

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comment...greene_almost/

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Bufford View Post
    I have always disagreed with the premise that TP was a hard hitter. He may have been intimidating to throw near, and he could take
    people to the ground fine, but I never thought he was a hitter who scared others in that way...not like Lloyd and Harrison.
    Typical hatespeak by a non-fan...not surprised...obviously, you have never been plowed over by Troy. 215 lbs. running a 4.3 can inflict serious damage.

To wit;

The Following 5 Users Like This Post:

No link or source since it is my original content. But I did find this....

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comment...greene_almost/
    Most of those players were before your time. And we both know you didn't know what martial arts Greg Lloyd took off the top of your head. You looked some stuff up, next time write down your sources.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Steeler Nation mobile app

I’d add Mel Blount.

The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

Most of those players were before your time. And we both know you didn't know what martial arts Greg Lloyd took off the top of your head. You looked some stuff up, next time write down your sources.
    No sources needed; detailed memory.

Quote Originally Posted by steelville View Post
    I’d add Mel Blount.
    And maybe Donnie Shell.

Quote Originally Posted by mightyguru View Post
    Typical hatespeak by a non-fan...not surprised...obviously, you have never been plowed over by Troy. 215 lbs. running a 4.3 can inflict serious damage.

To wit;

When did you play in the NFL?

No sources needed; detailed memory.
    You are full of shit. You can't even remember a nickname but you remember detailed shit about players who played while you were sucking on your mom's umbilical cord. Go blow bullshit up someone else's ass.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Roy Gerela

Sent from my VS988 using Steeler Nation mobile app

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

Way before my time but I heard in his brief but eventful stint with the Steelers, Gene "Big Daddy" Lipscomb may have been the most intimidating.
    "Madness is the exception in individuals but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche

"We need to invent technology thatís never even been invented yet.Ē - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

You are full of shit. You can't even remember a nickname but you remember detailed shit about players who played while you were sucking on your mom's umbilical cord. Go blow bullshit up someone else's ass.
    We say Oak Tree down here!

"We need to invent technology thatís never even been invented yet.Ē - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

When did you play in the NFL?
    Guru played from '91-'95, but I've been told that's all I can say about that.