Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Penguins and NHL Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
    Maatta was never the same after the bout with cancer. I hoped he would turn it around. His skating buried him.

Kahun besides being on a cheap contract has some upside. He can move the puck well, has a good shot. He's not physical and does get ridden off the puck. $3M is a good start to adding some talent. Up next, Jack Johnson
    I think the Injury the other year really took its toll too. Don't remember yelling Dammit Olli! near as much before the injury.

The Following User Likes This Post:

Blog Entries
    Good comparison. On another board Hawks fans are calling him a top 6 forward. He has solid 5v5 advanced stats. For an undrafted rookie he looks good. He's a much better winger than a center.
    Hes definitely a McCann. Should fit the Pens system.
    Will he click with Geno though? Malkin requires certain wingers for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by MTC View Post
    He’s definitely a McCann. Should fit the Pens system.
    Will he click with Geno though? Malkin requires certain wingers for some reason
    Right now I don't have a clue where to put him. We have a pile of middle six forwards. I can't believe there won't be 2 or 3 more moves coming soon.

Right now I don't have a clue where to put him. We have a pile of middle six forwards. I can't believe there won't be 2 or 3 more moves coming soon.
    Maybe they're thinking about a permanent pairing with Malkin?I would have hoped for some significant defense, and maybe a physical guy to even the score some?

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    Maybe they're thinking about a permanent pairing with Malkin?I would have hoped for some significant defense, and maybe a physical guy to even the score some?
    Kahun seems to have a really good hockey IQ. He finds soft spots and can move the puck quick if the shot isn't there. One of the raps on him is that he doesn't shoot enough and I think that may be why he didn't see much powerplay time. He is solid defensively and I hope he could find chemistry with Malkin. I'm still hoping GMJR will get Malkin something better.

Malkin was fine when he and Kessel were together. Split them apart, and both had what most consider to be shitty seasons. I think you solve Malkin and Kessel's problems by putting them back together.

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

I've heard rumors of them maybe bringing Hags back. I'd be ok with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelr4evr View Post
    I've heard rumors of them maybe bringing Hags back. I'd be ok with that.
    Pretty sure Hags just signed a big contract with the Caps.

Yeah, 4 years at $11 million. Sure it is a pay cut from what the Pens paid him. I just think the Pens have greater needs.

Caught GMJR on the radio twice today. He was on the Fan and Madden had him later. He thinks Kauhn could be top 6 because he has played with some good linemates. He is still listening on Kessel but not actively shopping him. He also prefers to keep the #1 pick. The rest of both interviews were softballs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Malkin was fine when he and Kessel were together. Split them apart, and both had what most consider to be shitty seasons. I think you solve Malkin and Kessel's problems by putting them back together.
    Rossi talked about this on the radio today. He said Kessel wants to play with Malkin more than Malkin wants to play with Kessel. Sully wants balance and that puts Kessel down to the 3rd line. Rossi comment " it becomes problematic for Phil when he is on the 3rd line".

I didn't catch the whole interview as I actually had to do some work. Hopefully someone caught the rest.

I get why Sully wants balance, but this team doesn't have the same depth it had a couple of years ago when they had the HBK line and it won't be easy to replicate that. I'd rather see two really good lines then put together a third line of hustle players who can produce with their energy.

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan448 View Post
    I get why Sully wants balance, but this team doesn't have the same depth it had a couple of years ago when they had the HBK line and it won't be easy to replicate that. I'd rather see two really good lines then put together a third line of hustle players who can produce with their energy.
    Yes!

Rossi talked about this on the radio today. He said Kessel wants to play with Malkin more than Malkin wants to play with Kessel. Sully wants balance and that puts Kessel down to the 3rd line. Rossi comment " it becomes problematic for Phil when he is on the 3rd line".

I didn't catch the whole interview as I actually had to do some work. Hopefully someone caught the rest.
    This team is better when Malkin is the go to guy the 2nd line, which is why Phil isn't on that line. I like Rust-Malkin-Horny on that 2nd line.

Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    This team is better when Malkin is the go to guy the 2nd line, which is why Phil isn't on that line. I like Rust-Malkin-Horny on that 2nd line.
    I like Horny with Malkin, especially since Sid doesn't think he is a match. Horny does the dirty work and good things happen. Rust has never been consistent. Scores in streaks and the goes silent. I don't know if we can afford that on a 2nd line. The good thing is we have options for that role. It may be a platoon until the right guy emerges.

I like Horny with Malkin, especially since Sid doesn't think he is a match. Horny does the dirty work and good things happen. Rust has never been consistent. Scores in streaks and the goes silent. I don't know if we can afford that on a 2nd line. The good thing is we have options for that role. It may be a platoon until the right guy emerges.
    I agree about Rust, as the roster is constructed he'd be the guy I'd try first because he has shown the ability to score and he can skate, but yes he is very streaky and inconsistent.

I like the first line better when Sid actually shoots for the net.

seems like the cap is geeting the better of the Pens. GMJR stated the reason Ollie was traded was partly money. Not that I'm against the trade, but I don't think Jack Johnson and his handsome contract was needed then.

The Jack Johnson signing and contract will be an albatross around the neck of the Pens organization for years. Only way they will be able to unload that mess is if they give away something of value with it, like when they gave up Sheary to get rid of Hunwick. It is a shame because there was no need to sign him in the first place. Yes he play solid for a couple stretches, but in the end, Jack is gonna Johnson. Maybe you can buy it out, but good luck getting rid of that contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    The Jack Johnson signing and contract will be an albatross around the neck of the Pens organization for years. Only way they will be able to unload that mess is if they give away something of value with it, like when they gave up Sheary to get rid of Hunwick. It is a shame because there was no need to sign him in the first place. Yes he play solid for a couple stretches, but in the end, Jack is gonna Johnson. Maybe you can buy it out, but good luck getting rid of that contract.
    This is exactly it. No one wanted the Penguins to make this move last year outside of Rutherford and everyone said it was for too long and too much money. Maybe they still would have needed to trade Maatta, but it would have been nice to have a bit more flexibility without Johnson's bad contract.