Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Malkin gone?

  1. #1

    Malkin gone?

    https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/...OsOQPWEqXQ9LTQ

    Since the final buzzer sounded on the Pittsburgh Penguin’s 2018-19 season, there has been non-stop speculation regarding the team’s roster for 2019-20 with talks surrounding star forward Evgeni Malkin.

    While chatter has also involved his teammate Phil Kessel, it seems like we are getting closer to a blockbuster trade involving the Russian forward.

    According to the Montreal blog Dans Les Coulisses, who has close ties with Florida Panthers’ Jonathan Huberdeau, a major deal is in the works to ship Malkin down south.

    Dans Les Coulisses reports (translated from the French tweet below) that a source closed to the situation has revealed that the Penguins and Panthers are discussing the possibility of a trade involving Malkin, Huberdeau and a first-round pick.

    It is noted that there will be more to come on that potential move.


    DansLesCoulisses

    @DLCoulisses
    EXCLUSIF :Une (bonne) source me mentionne qu'il y aurait actuellement d'importantes négociations entre les Panthers et les Penguins. Huberdeau, Malkin et un choix de 1ere ronde feraient notamment partie ses discussions. À suivre.

    143
    5:30 PM - Jun 4, 2019


    It is no secret the Panthers have been looking to become a contender by making bold moves this offseason. They have been reported as a top candidate in signing coveted free agent Artemi Panarin this summer.

    Adding Malkin would also be a game-changer for the Panthers, who can attract more star players now that legendary head coach Joel Quenneville is behind their bench.

    Malkin, of course, has a full no-trade and no-movement clause in his contract, so any potential deal would be up to him to approve or deny. Howvever, playing for a new contender under the sun in a non-tax state might be something to consider for the veteran forward.

    To be continued as they say…

  2. #2
    Member
    MTC's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Beaconville
    Posts
    14,897
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    348
    That’s the rumor that’s been circulating for awhile.
    I won’t hold my breathe on it until it’s official.

    If so, he and his wife do love to vacation in Miami, so would be a good fit from an “ethic” stand point.

  3. #3
    So much smoke around Malkin after the JR wouldn't confirm his long term status during locker clean out. I don't think we'll see much more unless Panarin signs in Florida. If that happens all bets are off. Also read Trocheck as part of the deal in place of Huberdeau. Less than 2 weeks until the draft........

  4. #4
    Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Southern Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,433
    Rep Power
    0
    I'll believe it when I see it but he needs a change of scenery. Far too many miscues for someone of his skill level. No doubt that if he is traded, he'll light up the Pens like a pinball machine when he squares off against them, and we'll wonder where that talent has been hiding.

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  5. #5
    I've said before that Malkin isn't going anywhere unless he wants to. Panarin, Florida and Florida taxes could be a motivator. Either get him some solid wingers or encourage him to go.

  6. #6
    I would take Trocheck. If Malkin has to go, I would rather have Trocheck than Huberdeau.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I would take Trocheck. If Malkin has to go, I would rather have Trocheck than Huberdeau.
    Honestly I would take either one as long as their first round pick was attached. Malkin is still worth a sizeable return. This team needs a breakup of some of the entitled culture.

    The Following User Likes This Post:

    JMM


  8. #8
    He had one bad season, and still averaged a point per game, you just don't toss a legacy player like him aside.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

    The Following 3 Users Like This Post:



  9. #9
    There are a lot of overpaid guys on this team that don't produce and while Malkin had a down season, he is still a guy who can help this team win. I'm with Coryea, you don't trade a legacy player like that. Also considering Rutherford seems to lost any vision on how to build a team, I don't exactly trust him making any big moves right now.

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    He had one bad season, and still averaged a point per game, you just don't toss a legacy player like him aside.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app
    I agree and would like to see him retire a Penguin....but he isn't getting younger. The team has a culture problem. Just like Kessel, I don't think old dogs are going to learn new tricks. The Penguin's need to change, as Malkin said " they are not champions anymore".

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
    I agree and would like to see him retire a Penguin....but he isn't getting younger. The team has a culture problem. Just like Kessel, I don't think old dogs are going to learn new tricks. The Penguin's need to change, as Malkin said " they are not champions anymore".
    I think that Kessel is probably more of a culture issue than Malkin is.

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan448 View Post
    There are a lot of overpaid guys on this team that don't produce and while Malkin had a down season, he is still a guy who can help this team win. I'm with Coryea, you don't trade a legacy player like that. Also considering Rutherford seems to lost any vision on how to build a team, I don't exactly trust him making any big moves right now.
    That and there seems to be a total disconnect between Rutherford and Sullivan, Rutherford seems to bring in guys that don't fit Sullivan's system.

    While everyone is screaming to get rid of Malkin, he did out produce Sid in the playoffs this season. Letang played horrible in the playoffs, he needs to learn to pick his spots more, I mean if he wants to play offense, then make him a winger.

    Trade Kessel, find a winger for Malkin that has speed and plays 200 ft. We've been trying to find a winger for Sid since we drafted him, let's not forget Malkin was always given the left overs that Sid didn't like playing with. Neal, Phil, Malone, Satan, Sykora, even Staal as a rookie played wing on Malkin's line. It may be time to find a legit winger that fits with Malkin.

    The Following 2 Users Like This Post:



  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    I think that Kessel is probably more of a culture issue than Malkin is.
    Kessel has worn out his welcome everywhere he has been. I think his time here has run out. I wanted him moved at the trade deadline last year. The damn problem is his limited move contract.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    That and there seems to be a total disconnect between Rutherford and Sullivan, Rutherford seems to bring in guys that don't fit Sullivan's system.

    While everyone is screaming to get rid of Malkin, he did out produce Sid in the playoffs this season. Letang played horrible in the playoffs, he needs to learn to pick his spots more, I mean if he wants to play offense, then make him a winger.

    Trade Kessel, find a winger for Malkin that has speed and plays 200 ft. We've been trying to find a winger for Sid since we drafted him, let's not forget Malkin was always given the left overs that Sid didn't like playing with. Neal, Phil, Malone, Satan, Sykora, even Staal as a rookie played wing on Malkin's line. It may be time to find a legit winger that fits with Malkin.
    I'm not screaming to dump Malkin. Hell, the guy has a charity suite as part of his contact. The thing is he has value. Far more so than Kessel. The Pens need to get younger and tougher to play against.

    I don't have a problem with Letang being moved either. He has always made bad decisions. He also still has value. Out of Malkin, Kessel and Letang, I'd like to see 2 of the 3 moved. It's all about what the return is.

    As for the coaching/management pieces. I think there was a reason that Craig Patrick was brought back late last year.
    Last edited by Uncle Ben; 06-13-2019 at 06:51 PM.

    The Following User Likes This Post:

    JMM


  15. #15
    Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Southern Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,433
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
    I'm not screaming to dump Malkin. Hell, the guy has a charity suite as part of his contact. The thing is he has value. Far more so than Kessel. The Pens need to get younger and tougher to play against.

    I don't have a problem with Letang being moved either. He has always made bad decisions. He also still has value. Out of Malkin, Kessel and Letang, I'd like to see 2 of the 3 moved. It's all about what the return is.

    As for the coaching/management pieces. I think there was a reason that Craig Patrick was brought back late last year.
    I have to agree with UB. Need to trade something of value to get something.of value. Malkin and Kessel disapeared in the playoffs the year before as well so their relative down turn started awhile ago. The treads on those tires are starting to get bare and they are not going to get any better.

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by JMM View Post
    I have to agree with UB. Need to trade something of value to get something.of value. Malkin and Kessel disapeared in the playoffs the year before as well so their relative down turn started awhile ago. The treads on those tires are starting to get bare and they are not going to get any better.
    Malkin has averaged a point per game over the past two playoffs, in 17/18 he had 98 points in 78 games. Malkin has a no trade clause to begin with, the power play sucks when Malkin is out, and Sid rarely plays great without Malkin. Malkin is still extremely skilled, it would be alot easier to try to build a line around him, rather then getting rid of him. You're going to lose any trade with Malkin when it comes to pure player vs player involved in a deal. I build a line around Malkin, rather than trade him, Sid isn't getting any younger either, so having Malkin helps take some pressure off of him as well.
    I love Letang, but he was the biggest reason they lost to NY and they won the cup without him, he'd be the one I'd try to move.

    The Following 2 Users Like This Post:



  17. #17
    I think the biggest reason the Pens got swept was that they didn't score goals. They scored 3 in Game 1 and only one in each of the remaining games. Six goals in 4 games won't win a round one series. Offensive turnovers killed the Pens all year. Our defense has problems but if you reduce the neutral zone brain farts they don't have to be that good. Malkin and Kessel coughed it up all year, Letang had issues as well. Point being, in the team's current configuration, they aren't great anymore.

    I hate to see the core broken up but if the Pens keep doing what their doing, I don't really see a different result. The weakness of the Pens (for many years) is the desire to win in the regular season. They don't win Metro all that often. Had they paved an easier playoff road, there might have been a few more cups.

    A retool is possible without moving the big names. It won't be a great one because there is little cap space. You can't pull in better players without the $.Keep in mind that Pettersson, ZAR and Blueger are Restricted Free Agents and will be looking for raises this year. Next year Murray and Mcann are RFA, Schults is Unrestricted. Not a great position to be in. All this goes to GMJR to make the right decisions. I don't trust him. He has proven to be a great short term GM. All you have to do is look at his tenure with Carolins and the Pens at this point.

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  18. #18
    Kessel is the first and only significant piece they should be looking to move at this point. He's the guy who had a shelf limit with the team and it'd be better to trade him a year too early rather than a year too late.

    The Following 2 Users Like This Post:



  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
    I think the biggest reason the Pens got swept was that they didn't score goals. They scored 3 in Game 1 and only one in each of the remaining games. Six goals in 4 games won't win a round one series. Offensive turnovers killed the Pens all year. Our defense has problems but if you reduce the neutral zone brain farts they don't have to be that good. Malkin and Kessel coughed it up all year, Letang had issues as well. Point being, in the team's current configuration, they aren't great anymore.

    I hate to see the core broken up but if the Pens keep doing what their doing, I don't really see a different result. The weakness of the Pens (for many years) is the desire to win in the regular season. They don't win Metro all that often. Had they paved an easier playoff road, there might have been a few more cups.

    A retool is possible without moving the big names. It won't be a great one because there is little cap space. You can't pull in better players without the $.Keep in mind that Pettersson, ZAR and Blueger are Restricted Free Agents and will be looking for raises this year. Next year Murray and Mcann are RFA, Schults is Unrestricted. Not a great position to be in. All this goes to GMJR to make the right decisions. I don't trust him. He has proven to be a great short term GM. All you have to do is look at his tenure with Carolins and the Pens at this point.
    Pay Pettersson, ZAR, Mcann. Schultz I'm ambivelant about. Blueger, too.

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    Pay Pettersson, ZAR, Mcann. Schultz I'm ambivelant about. Blueger, too.
    I'm liking Blueger more. He showed well at Worlds. I'm thinking a bridge deal around $800K. Some predictions have Pettersson getting $2.25M, I'd like to see less. ZAR, I have no idea. I think he is replaceable but his advanced stats are off the chart when playing with Malkin. At $5.5M Schultz is a big question mark. We don't have much from last year to look at.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Follow @SteeIerNation