Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com2019 NHL Stadium Series Gear Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Tomlin should be losing sleep throughout the season...

Why Tomlin should be losing sleep throughout the season...

Over the last three years the Steelers offense has averaged just about 26 pts per game. The defense has given up just under 21 points per game in the same time period.

This makes it easy to see why the Steelers are actually a middle of the pack team in terms of playoff performance and even regular season performance. They have little margin for error.

Now, Over the last three years, Brown has averaged 72 pts per season for the Steelers. Broken out, that's an average of almost 4.25 pts per game.

So, logically we may expect to see a drop in the Steelers points per game to say... 23. (Somebody new may pick up a bit of the slack, but we can assume 3 pts per game loss.)

Since we can have NO expectation that the defense will improve, we must assume that the Steelers margin for error will be even MORE thin, in fact razor thin.

When you are stuck with tight games, you depend on your coaching to give you an edge. Mike Tomlin has demonstrated for years that he is NOT going to give you an edge in coaching. Thus, that coveted 9-7 / 8-8 season just became a LOT harder to achieve.

It's all in the numbers.

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

With the report that Jesse James is also leaving, that puts the Steelers in an even tighter squeeze. James accounted for 48 pts over the last 3 years, That's just under 1 pt per game.

Unless the Steelers can find a 2nd TE that's as good or better than Jesse James, they are looking at a margin of 22 to 21 per game.

Good Luck Mike!

The Steelers front office doesnt give a shit about winning, why should I?

Its obvious 8-8 is good enough, fans will keep packing that stadium, its all that really matters

Quote Originally Posted by wig View Post
    Over the last three years the Steelers offense has averaged just about 26 pts per game. The defense has given up just under 21 points per game in the same time period.

This makes it easy to see why the Steelers are actually a middle of the pack team in terms of playoff performance and even regular season performance. They have little margin for error.

Now, Over the last three years, Brown has averaged 72 pts per season for the Steelers. Broken out, that's an average of almost 4.25 pts per game.

So, logically we may expect to see a drop in the Steelers points per game to say... 23. (Somebody new may pick up a bit of the slack, but we can assume 3 pts per game loss.)

Since we can have NO expectation that the defense will improve, we must assume that the Steelers margin for error will be even MORE thin, in fact razor thin.

When you are stuck with tight games, you depend on your coaching to give you an edge. Mike Tomlin has demonstrated for years that he is NOT going to give you an edge in coaching. Thus, that coveted 9-7 / 8-8 season just became a LOT harder to achieve.

It's all in the numbers.

Lifetime Member

It's all in the numbers.
    How about we give the 2nd year OC a chance to improve on what he had last year? I know AB is gone - but GOOD GOLLY MOLLY - losing Bell last year was a HUGE HIT and we still were over .500 (stupid reffing included). I believe we've found something in the Conner/Samuels combination to remedy the Bell loss. Replacing AB is going to be huge and Ben better be working w/ JuJu and the boys in the offseason.
    #SHALIEVE!!

All 10 picks should be on offense.

Problem solved

The Following User Likes This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bermudasteel View Post
    How about we give the 2nd year OC a chance to improve on what he had last year? I know AB is gone - but GOOD GOLLY MOLLY - losing Bell last year was a HUGE HIT and we still were over .500 (stupid reffing included). I believe we've found something in the Conner/Samuels combination to remedy the Bell loss. Replacing AB is going to be huge and Ben better be working w/ JuJu and the boys in the offseason.

Last year I aired a thought that Ju-Ju has passed Brown as a player. Brown will be tough to replace, but running the ball a bit more, and playing better defense ( forcing turnovers ) will be more than enough...I think. Or maybe teams doubled Brown so often Ju-Ju shined and he won't be quite as good in 2019. We'll see! We do need a good #2 WR badly, and it would be nice if he has deep speed. If Metcalf is on the board I take him in round one and I'd love Campbell in round two if possible and would not rule out trading up to get him with our 3rd round pick to get him early in round two if he's there.

I sense that the drink the cool aid Steelers fans have finally woke up to smell the coffee. It stinks, doesn't it? Welcome to reality. This team has been poorly coached for years and has failed to get value out of its disgruntled starts. I just wish the Steelers fired Tomlin, then we can completely hit the reset button, with a pretty good collection of talented players for the new head coach to work with.
    Out of smoke! Tomlin is 3-5 in his last eight playoff games, 3-6 if you include the Super Bowl loss to the Packers. He has won a playoff game in just 4 of his 12 seasons, and most of those came early.

Quote Originally Posted by ZonaBurgh View Post
    All 10 picks should be on defense.

Problem solved
    Fixed

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Also, wasn’t this the NFLs plan all along? Set up the raiders for their NV SB run vs ****? You know cause fix. Lol

With the report that Jesse James is also leaving, that puts the Steelers in an even tighter squeeze. James accounted for 48 pts over the last 3 years, That's just under 1 pt per game.

Unless the Steelers can find a 2nd TE that's as good or better than Jesse James, they are looking at a margin of 22 to 21 per game.

Good Luck Mike!
    They'll take a hit with losing Brown's 15 touchdowns, but James TDs will be easily replaced by others on the roster. It doesn't have to come from TE2.

It's all in the numbers.
    I remember when people on here were wondering the exact same thing when Wallace left. Go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by stillwright View Post
    Wait...are you talking about yourself or paperclip?

Super Dave: I am a(Super) contributor with an up to date subscription. I just never whined about the tag.

You should stick to talking football........

Tomlin cost us a possible 1st round pick by his piss poor management of the Brown situation.

Tomlin absolutely has to be shitting himself as this whole 2019' season's performance will be on HIM and his ability to coach and manage this team. Losing brown, Bell, now James, and don't forget Munchak. A part of me honestly is not going to be upset if this team TANKS this year IF it means the demise of TOMLIN. Seriously, how many more passes does this guy get for his horrible coaching? His poor coaching has been masked by having the BEST trio of positional offensive players of the last decade or more.

More boo hooing

Lifetime

Blog Entries

It's all in the numbers.
    If my math is right, it seems the Stiller's average margin of victory in 2018 was 12 points and their average margin of loss was 4.8. So when they win, they win comfortably. When they lose, they lose close with several losses by 3 points. This is why Shades' record dropped from 13-3 in 2017 to 9-6-1 in 2018 when the kicker lost his mojo. A lot of games are going to be close. This year I predict 8-8 at best.
    Last edited by Ron Burgundy; 03-11-2019 at 09:40 PM.
    "It is not the multitude of ale houses that occasions a disposition to drunkenness among the common people; but that disposition arising from other causes necessarily gives employment to a multitude of ale houses." -- Adam Smith, 1776

losing Bell last year was a HUGE HIT and we still were over .500
    And in fairness and because I wasn't necessarily trying to start a "Sky is Falling" post so much as a "Tomlin really needs to have a GREAT coaching year" post - I would point out that Conner (admittedly in limited action, he's only started for a YEAR.) put up BETTER scoring numbers than Bell. So in that sense the whole thing is skewed because the Steelers in a sense got better through subtraction.

And it is certainly true that Jesse James was not much of a scoring threat. He was a decent blocker though, and he was reliable. My biggest concern at the TE position is that I was shocked and thrilled that Vance made it through the season without getting hurt again. I don't know if he can do it twice in a row. That means your #2 is an important guy. Perhaps Grimble steps up in a big way this year.

Washington was definitely showing some signs of improvement and giving cause for some optimism at the end of the season. (Damn Ben...) Ideally he will continue to improve and he can help make up even more than James 1 pt per game average. (Which, admittedly is a lot of lying with numbers, but it's about the best you can do with 3 year totals.)

If the Steelers can get a decent wideout, or get one of the guys on the roster (looking at YOU Justin Hunter) to step up huge as a deep speed threat, that could help JuJu maintain his form. AND maybe Ben throws fewer picks if he isn't trying to force the ball in to Brown and subsequently the Steelers at the very least increase their T.O.P. a bit, at best they score as often or even more.

I'm just suggesting that Tomlin REALLY needs to be on his game, because Brown WILL be a loss on the field, even if it's a gain in the locker-room.

For somebody to lose sleep, they would have to think they did something wrong. I bet Tomlin sleeps like a baby.

The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tapeANaspirin2it View Post
    For somebody to lose sleep, they would have to think they did something wrong. I bet Tomlin sleeps like a baby.
    This ^^^

Tomlin has only a fleeting connection to reality. He genuinely believed his 2018 defense would stop the Raiders at the end of the game ... he genuinely believed his 2018 defense would stop New Orleans at the end of the game ... and the defense stopping a woeful, undermanned and sad-ass Bengals offense in the last game of the season will simply invigorate his idiocy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfiero View Post
    Of course I'm despicable...

Thank you for the Steelers stuff I yelled win I Saw everything that you guys gave me thank you so much

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ianv2012 View Post
    More boo hooing
    great addition to thread, would (not) read again

The only reason HCMT would lose sleep would be if Art Le Deuce were to tell him "no championship no contract".
    And even then I doubt Senor Cool Shades would give a rats arse.