Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com

Thread: Didn't see this posted,

Didn't see this posted,

But 18 years ago today, Three Rivers was imploded

https://youtu.be/NpU7gllry4k

my favorite game there was 1993 or 1994 vs the Bills on Monday Night. Monday Night football games used to have such a great atmosphere then, with all the tailgating, it was like a whole different world. IT could be because i was 13, but there was alot more tailgating back then, and Monday Night Football was the big game of the week.
    Thurman Thomas came out near where we sat and the entire section started booing him and yelling at him, so he started bending over and tapping his ass then kissing his hand like saying kiss my ass. Lloyd saw this and started making a B line right over toward him, I don't Thurman ran that fast in the game. Hahaha, and we beat them pretty soundly, may have been 23-0 i think.

The Following 3 Users Like This Post:

It seemed not that long ago, but yet it was. Time stands still for nobody.
    She said, "Love me, " so I love her
    She said, "Leave me, " so I left
    Then I went to Pittsburgh
    And I ain't never comin' back

The Following User Likes This Post:

I went to the last or second to last home game there. Raiders at PITTSBURGH, both my son and I loved it. We also found out there was a Penguins game in town so saturday night hockey and sunday football. We had an awesome weekend.

Salute the nation

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

I have been to Three Rivers, and the Steelers beat the Houston Oilers in 1985, 20-0 that day. Dad took me. A special day.

I have not been to Heinz field, so this question is for those who have been to both Three Rivers and Heinz Field.

1 ) Which stadium was better to watch a game?

2 ) Which stadium gave the Steelers a better home field advantage?

Looking at Heinz field on television, it looks like a very old and out of date NFL stadium...already. Pretty much every new stadium gets a super bowl or hosts a draft. The Steelers have done neither.

Banned

Three Rivers was a huge home field advantage the sound reverberated in the concrete bowl. The amenities and sight lines are much better at Heinz but it does not have a great game day feel. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Don't let nostalgia get in the way, Heinz Field and it isn't even close. Better sightlines, more comfortable seats, no obstructed views, two HD video boards, good sound system, very nice club and suites (if you're into that aspect), wide concourses and more concessions/restrooms. The only thing about the game atmosphere that I really miss is the lower level seats that bounced.[/quote]

Steelers win percentage at Three Rivers Stadium = 71.6
    Steelers win percentage at Heinz Field = 72.2

Heinz Field

Looking at Heinz field on television, it looks like a very old and out of date NFL stadium...already. Pretty much every new stadium gets a super bowl or hosts a draft. The Steelers have done neither.
    Cold-weather cities suck for the Super Bowl, even Pittsburgh. No thanks. AT&T Stadium is the only NFL stadium to host the NFL draft and it is the worst NFL stadium I've ever been too. If you're into the whole luxury experience at a stadium, I guess you would like some of the new ones. If you're about the football experience, Heinz Field is a great stadium.

The Following 6 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Coryea View Post
    my favorite game there was 1993 or 1994 vs the Bills on Monday Night.
    23-10

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I have been to Three Rivers, and the Steelers beat the Houston Oilers in 1985, 20-0 that day. Dad took me. A special day.

I have not been to Heinz field, so this question is for those who have been to both Three Rivers and Heinz Field.

Personally, Heinz is much better to watch than was TR. Much more comfortable and easier to get around. No doubt TR was much louder, but that was the benefits of the cookie cutters stadiums of the 70s. Heinz is louder now than it was before since the open end has been retrofitted. Which, again personally, was better as it was when it opened. The view was awesome and that wind off the confluence was such a impact to visiting kickers, definitely added to home field advantage in place of crowd noise.

Either get a new TV or clean your glasses because Heinz is one of the better stadiums around. Much better than the monstrosity in Dallas. Looking at Heinz on TV is in no way equal to being there live. Inside and outside the stadium.

Of other stadiums, Arrowhead is great and itís very old. But had plenty of refits to bring it up to the standards today. Probably the loudest place Iíve been to, after the AFCC in 2008 at Heinz in the 4th qtr. Carolina has an awesome stadium too. Falcons Bird Cage is probably the best dome Iíve been in. Best concessions prices in the leagues too - AA Baseball food prices. Lincoln Field in Philly was ok. Same for the Titans and the Skins. Was hoping to see a game in NY, but had conflicting schedules. Maybe this year. I hear itís nice as well.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app
    P-38L fan

The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ike Kelly View Post
    Either get a new TV or clean your glasses because Heinz is one of the better stadiums around. Much better than the monstrosity in Dallas. Looking at Heinz on TV is in no way equal to being there live. Inside and outside the stadium.

Of other stadiums, Arrowhead is great and it’s very old. But had plenty of refits to bring it up to the standards today. Probably the loudest place I’ve been to, after the AFCC in 2008 at Heinz in the 4th qtr. Carolina has an awesome stadium too. Falcons Bird Cage is probably the best dome I’ve been in. Best concessions prices in the leagues too - AA Baseball food prices. Lincoln Field in Philly was ok. Same for the Titans and the Skins. Was hoping to see a game in NY, but had conflicting schedules. Maybe this year. I hear it’s nice as well.
    Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that about the Jerry Dome. I'm with you that Lincoln Financial is just alright. I thought the place felt gigantic (in a bad way) and the sound system was poor. I don't like domes, but Ford Field is a pretty cool stadium with its industrial feel. I'd love to check out a game in Seattle and Minnesota.

Banned

Panthers stadium is a dump, it is cold sterile and just boring.Of course I just described the whole city of Charlotte.

Funny what 17 years does in terms of money. The city of Regina in Saskatchewan payed around 300 million for a stadium for a friggen CFL team. Heinz still looks great and is a great place to catch a game. Never went to Three Rivers but most of the duel football / baseball stadiums largely sucked.
    Last edited by SteelerSask; 02-12-2019 at 12:43 AM.

If we're discussing horrible stadiums, Buffalo is #1 and nothing else is close.

Lifetime

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSask View Post
    Funny what 17 years does in terms of money. The city of Regina in Saskatchewan payed around 300 million for a stadium for a friggen CFL team. Heinz still looks great and is a great place to catch a game. Never went to Three Rivers but most of the duel football / baseball stadiums largely sucked.
    Main problem is that in a baseball stadium set up for football you're too far away from the field no matter how good your seats are.
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

Quote Originally Posted by DLN View Post
    Panthers stadium is a dump, it is cold sterile and just boring.Of course I just described the whole city of Charlotte.
    You sure you didnít hop on the wrong flight and land in Cleveland? Downtown/Uptown Charlotte is beautiful, BOA stadium is in a great location. Accessible, plenty of places to go before/after a game.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app
    P-38L fan

Banned

Panthers Stadium has no tailgating and has a a ghetto down the street. Charlotte's downtown is ok but lacks any character as all the old buildings were torn down leaving just new sterile forgettable buildings. It is probably the most boring down town in the NFL save Green Bay and the fans are see and be seen instead of true fans. To each his own.