Shop for Pittsburgh Steelers gear at Fanatics.com Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins Gear at Fanatics.com Pittsburgh Pirates gear at Fanatics.com
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 440 of 481

Thread: Bradshaw on MT

  1. #421
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Newark,NJ
    Posts
    9,528
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by topseed View Post
    But see, you're missing the fact that Henderson was the guy who ripped Bradshaw, but wasn't able to back it up in either Super Bowl. Bradshaw had the last laugh on him when it mattered, not the other way around. That's the main reason Tomlin's response was misguided, but yes, I suppose that's way too "deep" for you to comprehend.

    And please, don't further insult your intelligence by comparing Thomas Henderson to Lawrence Taylor. Hollywood got cut in the prime of his career. Taylor was one of the greatest defensive players of all-time. Indeed, kids can idolize whomever they choose. If they end up becoming head coaches in the NFL, however, in my opinion, they should probably use more discretion.
    No you are the missing the point. The only person I know who even took his comments past he just calling Bradshaw dumb without actually saying it. Everyone else in the world got that except the super duper smart Topseed. Everyone knows the steelers won and Henderson was a idiot. But funny everyone else took the it at face value with out digging all deep but you. Everyone else laughed and moved on..you still talking about it trying to make it way more then it was

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  2. #422
    Mike made a smart jab at Terry for his dumb comment. Though I honestly agree in part with what Terry said (there are many different coaches and skill sets). There is no way Mike Tomlin is on a level with Bill Belichek on the X's and O's strategy front. Sorry, watched his entire career and nothing would lead me to believe that. However, Belichek has the people skills of a box of Captain Crunch. Mike is a very smart guy, well spoken who seems to have an excellent rapport with his players and coaches. If you have the right x's and o's guys in place the HC doesn't have to be a genius at that. (Though I'd argue that Haley is not either). Terry's comment though probably having some basis in fact, was WAAAAAAAAAAY to simplistic and looked stupid considering Tomlin's record.

  3. #423
    Moderator
    Super Dave's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,341
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    118
    I hate these threads. It seems we can't praise one Steelers legend without tearing another down.

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  4. #424
    Moderator
    Super Dave's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,341
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    118
    In my life time there have been 3 Steeler Eras, The Noll Era, The Cowher Era, and The Tomlin Era.

    Each era has had their peaks and valleys, many more peaks than long valleys.

    Each era has had a different starting point on the timeline, each starting point had different challenges, each coach met those challenges with great success.

    Each era on the timeline had teams that were built and rebuilt. Each era on the timeline (Noll,Cowher,Tomlin) had good drafts and bad drafts. Each era had a HOF QB.

    NFL history dictates that a HOF QB is a necessary ingredient to win a Championship, not every time, but most certainly nearly every time.

    A teams chances of hoisting the Lombardi are greatly enhanced with a HOF QB. However a HOF QB does not guarantee anything, the sum of the parts are what makes a championship team. If the Sum of The Parts is inadequate the team will fail. The record of a bad team could be 8-8 with a HOF QB, and 6-10 with an inferior QB. I use Big Ben as an example, as he has never had a losing record.

    A couple of years ago at a conference that I was attending Terry Bradshaw was a featured speaker, I can see why he drove Noll crazy. He didn't prepare, he just winged it, the result was an embarrassing speech that was mostly a meandering mess with no point at all, just TB trying to tell funny stories mostly about his hands and Mike Websters butt.

    One of the "funny" stories he told as how the Steelers had just resigned Ben Roethlisberger and Terry just could NOT understand why. The point is before he criticized Tomlin he was criticizing Ben. Just as he criticized Noll, just as he criticized Pittsburgh and its fans.

    When it comes to grading out coaches Terry Bradshaw is about the last person I would got to for comment. He rarely ever listened to them.

    But Thank you for your part in 4 SB's TB! The sum of those parts were as exceptional as they were legendary.
    Last edited by Super Dave; 01-08-2017 at 12:00 PM.

    The Following 8 Users Like This Post:



  5. #425
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Valley
    Posts
    6,174
    Rep Power
    0
    Well, that about sums it up.

    No Archer record here. lol


  6. #426
    Member


    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale
    Posts
    13,348
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by topseed View Post
    Wow. Thanks for the info!

    So his postseason winning percentage is 20th out of 31 coaches with as much playoff experience. Got it.
    The truth is often hated here.

    We'd better win today vs a back up QB at home, otherwise, Tolin will be 1-5 in his last six playoff games

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  7. #427
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rochester, PA
    Posts
    19,201
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    The truth is often hated here.

    We'd better win today vs a back up QB at home, otherwise, Tolin will be 1-5 in his last six playoff games
    At least we're not facing a really good QB like Tim Tebow.

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  8. #428
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Valley
    Posts
    6,174
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    The truth is often hated here.

    We'd better win today vs a back up QB at home, otherwise, Tolin will be 1-5 in his last six playoff games
    I don't know who this "Tolin" is that you speak off. Does he have a player named Durpee?

    As for the Tomlin coached Steelers ... Here We Go!!

    The Following 2 Users Like This Post:



  9. #429
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    The truth is often hated here.

    We'd better win today vs a back up QB at home, otherwise, Tolin will be 1-5 in his last six playoff games
    Or he's 2-1 in his last three

    The Following 2 Users Like This Post:



  10. #430
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
    In my life time there have been 3 Steeler Eras, The Noll Era, The Cowher Era, and The Tomlin Era.

    Each era has had their peaks and valleys, many more peaks than long valleys.

    Each era has had a different starting point on the timeline, each starting point had different challenges, each coach met those challenges with great success.

    Each era on the timeline had teams that were built and rebuilt. Each era on the timeline (Noll,Cowher,Tomlin) had good drafts and bad drafts. Each era had a HOF QB.

    NFL history dictates that a HOF QB is a necessary ingredient to win a Championship, not every time, but most certainly nearly every time.

    A teams chances of hoisting the Lombardi are greatly enhanced with a HOF QB. However a HOF QB does not guarantee anything, the sum of the parts are what makes a championship team. If the Sum of The Parts is inadequate the team will fail. The record of a bad team could be 8-8 with a HOF QB, and 6-10 with an inferior QB. I use Big Ben as an example, as he has never had a losing record.

    A couple of years ago at a conference that I was attending Terry Bradshaw was a featured speaker, I can see why he drove Noll crazy. He didn't prepare, he just winged it, the result was an embarrassing speech that was mostly a meandering mess with no point at all, just TB trying to tell funny stories mostly about his hands and Mike Websters butt.

    One of the "funny" stories he told as how the Steelers had just resigned Ben Roethlisberger and Terry just could NOT understand why. The point is before he criticized Tomlin he was criticizing Ben. Just as he criticized Noll, just as he criticized Pittsburgh and its fans.

    When it comes to grading out coaches Terry Bradshaw is about the last person I would got to for comment. He rarely ever listened to them.

    But Thank you for your part in 4 SB's TB! The sum of those parts were as exceptional as they were legendary.
    It's pretty obvious Bradshaw has a problem with jealousy when it comes to his legacy. I agree with what he said about Tomlin, don't agree with him doing it though.

    The Following User Likes This Post:



  11. #431
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    The truth is often hated here.

    We'd better win today vs a back up QB at home, otherwise, Tolin will be 1-5 in his last six playoff games
    As of today he has a better winning playoff percentage than Cowher with the same number of slwoB repuS wins and losses in 5 less seasons. But, as you say, the truth is often hated here.


    Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

    The Following 2 Users Like This Post:



  12. #432
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    Actually, what you have attributed to me is NOT what I stated. You're still focusing on just one aspect. The QB. A "confluence" of factors implies more than one. As a matter of fact, I never said that Rivers was AS GOOD AS Ben ... only that Rivers is considered a franchise QB (by many, if not you personally) and has been since he was drafted. the almost identical stats between Ben and Rivers except for wins was posted by another poster..

    But again, the QB is only one factor in the "confluence" .... Coaching, teammates, chemistry, leadership are some others. So to repeat, while I am looking at many different factors (including the Head Coaches that each has worked with), you seem intent to focus on just one ... not surprising.

    Of course, if things had fallen how Bill Cowher wanted during that draft, we WOULD have known whether Rivers would have achieved success here. Then again, if Bill hadn't been talked out of his second choice, we wouldn't be seeing how good Ben is as a Steeler either. Luckily for you (and all Steelers fans), Bill didn't get his way.

    Have a good night top ... 10 a.m. church comes pretty early.

    Let's root on the Steelers tomorrow. Even if it galls you to root for success for Tomlin as an individual, the TEAM is the thing .... right?
    This is Steeler fan mythology. Cowher wanted Andrews because he never thought Ben would be there when it was their time to pick.

    This is verified by Cowher, Colbert, and Rooney himself.

    That myth is repeated over and over on this board and all over the web as if it's true.

    I guess it needs to be that way to fit the "Cowher thought he could win it all without a franchise QB" narrative that people have made up.....uh no..he never had the opportunity to grab a guy like Ben.

  13. #433
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Valley
    Posts
    6,174
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfiero View Post
    This is Steeler fan mythology. Cowher wanted Andrews because he never thought Ben would be there when it was their time to pick.

    This is verified by Cowher, Colbert, and Rooney himself.

    That myth is repeated over and over on this board and all over the web as if it's true.

    I guess it needs to be that way to fit the "Cowher thought he could win it all without a franchise QB" narrative that people have made up.....uh no..he never had the opportunity to grab a guy like Ben.
    Somebody should tell Dan Rooney that then. Because in all the excerpts from his book that have been posted on here regarding that issue, Dan says that he had to (paraphrasing) "swing the discussion back to the QB". And only after he had done so were they able to find a consensus.

    "I couldn't bear the thought of passing on another great quarterback prospect the way we had passed on Dan Marino in 1983, so I steered the conversation around to Roethlisberger,'' Rooney writes in his new autobiography. "After some more talk, we came to a consensus and picked Roethlisberger. . . He was just what we needed.''

    - Dan Rooney, My 75 years with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL
    Last edited by SteelBuckeye; 01-09-2017 at 12:35 AM.

  14. #434
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Valley
    Posts
    6,174
    Rep Power
    0
    Of course, they better tell Bouchette he got it wrong too since he mentions it in his review of Dan's book:

    Rooney has a few more modern revelations as well, encouraging Bill Cowher and Kevin Colbert to draft Ben Roethlisberger in 2004 rather than an offensive lineman, and secretly meeting with Hines Ward alone at the Arnold Palmer Airport in Latrobe to help settle the receiver's 2005 training camp contract holdout.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/200711040190

  15. #435
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    Somebody should tell Dan Rooney that then. Because in all the excerpts from his book that have been posted on here regarding that issue, Dan says that he had to (paraphrasing) "swing the discussion back to the QB". And only after he had done so were they able to find a consensus.

    "I couldn't bear the thought of passing on another great quarterback prospect the way we had passed on Dan Marino in 1983, so I steered the conversation around to Roethlisberger,'' Rooney writes in his new autobiography. "After some more talk, we came to a consensus and picked Roethlisberger. . . He was just what we needed.''

    - Dan Rooney, My 75 years with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL
    Yes that is exactly the quote I was going to use.

    Read it again, he's not saying he wanted to pick Ben against the others.

    What does Colbert have to say?

    "We couldn't trade up because we knew the cost to trade up was very expensive. ... Tommy Maddox was coming off a pretty good season, and we were looking to shore up our offensive line. If we had the opportunity to add a young quarterback, because Tommy was a little bit older, we were going to do that."

    Coach [Bill] Cowher unselfishly made the statement that, for the sake of the organization, if a quarterback is available, we should give it serious thought. Was that the most immediate need? No, because we didn't plan on Ben playing his rookie year. ... Tommy [Maddox] gets hurt in the first game, the rest was history."
    -----Kevin Colbert

    I'll try and find Cowher's words.
    Last edited by Elfiero; 01-09-2017 at 01:28 AM.

  16. #436
    Member


    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    1,633
    Rep Power
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by antdrewjosh View Post
    No you are the missing the point. The only person I know who even took his comments past he just calling Bradshaw dumb without actually saying it. Everyone else in the world got that except the super duper smart Topseed. Everyone knows the steelers won and Henderson was a idiot. But funny everyone else took the it at face value with out digging all deep but you. Everyone else laughed and moved on..you still talking about it trying to make it way more then it was
    It only took 18 pages for everyone else to "laugh and move on" before I even posted on the matter, I guess. I'm not trying to make more (or less) of anything. I just disagreed with how witty the comment was, and I've provided some pretty good reasons why I felt that way...excuse me for "digging all deep" and questioning the words of your hero.

    Whatever, guy. You'll defend MT to the death no matter what he says or does, right or wrong. I should know that by now. As further evidenced by your undying love and excuse-making in the "Ben in a walking boot?" thread.

    It was great to see the Steelers come out with a solid gameplan, and get control against an inferior opponent early. However, having Ben in the game and passing the ball with 4+ minutes left up by 18 in Dolphins' territory was an unnecessary mistake, and I hope it doesn't cost them.

    See? I can credit the man when it's due. The question is, will you EVER discredit him? I won't hold my breath.

    What the hell am I doing here?
    I don't belong here.


    -- Radiohead

  17. #437
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Newark,NJ
    Posts
    9,528
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by topseed View Post
    It only took 18 pages for everyone else to "laugh and move on" before I even posted on the matter, I guess. I'm not trying to make more (or less) of anything. I just disagreed with how witty the comment was, and I've provided some pretty good reasons why I felt that way...excuse me for "digging all deep" and questioning the words of your hero.

    Whatever, guy. You'll defend MT to the death no matter what he says or does, right or wrong. I should know that by now. As further evidenced by your undying love and excuse-making in the "Ben in a walking boot?" thread.

    It was great to see the Steelers come out with a solid gameplan, and get control against an inferior opponent early. However, having Ben in the game and passing the ball with 4+ minutes left up by 18 in Dolphins' territory was an unnecessary mistake, and I hope it doesn't cost them.

    See? I can credit the man when it's due. The question is, will you EVER discredit him? I won't hold my breath.
    Lol my hero. I bet money you can't find one post on this site where I ever called Tomlin a great coach or the best in the league. Post one. Tomlin is a good coach who doesn't get credit for anything he does well or did well. But gets the blame for everything. Yes I know he's the head coach and the buck stops with him. But some shit is over the top. That's where I defend Tomlin when it's over the top and when someone goes over and beyond to discredit him. Sorta like the reaching you doing in this thread.

    I don't agree with every decision he makes. But just because I can disagree with him and not call him dumb or stupid or a sorry coach doesn't make him my hero.

    Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

  18. #438
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfiero View Post
    This is Steeler fan mythology. Cowher wanted Andrews because he never thought Ben would be there when it was their time to pick.
    That doesn't make sense. It's not like you submit your pick beforehand based on who you think will be available.

  19. #439
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Newark,NJ
    Posts
    9,528
    Rep Power
    0
    http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/st...dro-villanueva


    Q&A: Alejandro Villanueva, Steelers



    JIM WEXELL

    Yesterday at 7:17 PM

    The "cheerleader" comment by Terry Bradshaw is still an issue with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Alejandro Villanueva spoke about its unifying effect.

    PITTSBURGH -- Mike Tomlin has said that he first spotted his left tackle,*Alejandro Villanueva, during the playing of the National Anthem before a preseason game in 2014.

    Villanueva was with the Philadelphia Eagles, but was cut and signed by the*Steelers, who moved him to the offensive line and taught him the job on the practice squad.

    On Sunday, Villanueva played every snap of his 17th start of the 2016 season.

    He obviously played well. His team won, his quarterback was sacked only one time and his running back set a team post-season rushing record.

    After the game, Villanueva emerged from the tunnel leading to the locker room, saw his coach, and said, "Hey, there's the cheerleader!" Tomlin laughed and said, "That's right, I*was cheering my (butt) off."

    Villanueva had some interesting comments about the moment, and about Tomlin.

    Q:*Has the cheerleader thing become a rallying cry?

    AV:*"A hundred percent. (Pause) I think that's something that makes him a really good coach. Thirty-one teams didn't give me a chance to play in the NFL. I've been denied from*the Bears, the Bengals, the Eagles. I don't think there's any player who's ever failed three times at a rookie minicamp tryout and is still playing in the NFL. So for me, Coach Tomlin*means a lot. He gave me an opportunity to learn a position in a year on the practice squad. He didn't cut me when there were team needs. He invested in me and he believed in me*and that's the only thing I needed to go on with my career. So for me, his leadership, his mentorship, his ability to get the best out of me has meant the world to me and has*allowed me to feed my family and has hopefully helped the team be a better team. He's a great coach. He's a great leader. Obviously when those*comments were heard in the locker room, they affected me personally because I have so much admiration and I want to defend my coach at all costs."

    Q:*Do others feel the same way?

    AV:*"I think the whole team feels the same way. I think everybody loves Coach Tomlin. He's got a personal relationship with everybody. I think if you ask 32 teams in the NFL, less*than half will be able to tell you that they've had a conversation with their head coach, and I think every single person in this locker room has a conversation with Coach Tomlin*every single day. And that's not something I take for granted, because I've been in other organizations where that doesn't *happen. I think I'm very fortunate and I think this team is*very, very fortunate to have Coach Tomlin as the head coach."

    Q:*Not that you needed a rallying cry, considering the inherent motivation at playoff time, but has it helped unify?

    AV:*"He keeps the team focused regardless of the circumstance. It doesn't matter if it's media. It doesn't matter. He's done a really good job of forcing everybody to stay focused.*This stuff happens on every single team. News breaks out every single year with teams all around the NFL, and that usually distracts locker rooms, divides the locker room. I think*everybody's really unified on this team because he's so open about everything. He discusses everything in a public forum. His coaching style is extremely effective and I think it*truly helps bring the best out of this team every single week."

    Q:*He's said that camaraderie doesn't necessarily create winning, but that winning creates camaraderie. Agree?

    AV:*"There's a mixture of both. He really wants to have us play for each other and that's what he's done this whole season. Teams like that are very tough to beat. Teams that play*for each other are usually going to get the best out of the players. You could put in a list a number of things he does on a daily basis to get this team ready to go every single week.*Little things that mean big things. Every single thing he says has a meaning and purpose. Everything is very calculated. There's not a thing he would tell a player that doesn't have a*purpose. He's not a guy that just wants to talk. He's always very focused on coaching 53 players personally, so that's a very tough challenge and I think he does that very well.*Regardless of whether we have a position coach, I have a personal relationship with Coach Tomlin and I have expectations that I owe him, and he lets me know those things every*single week."

    Q:*I took the camaraderie comment as having a built-in humility to it. He doesn't take credit for anything, does he?

    AV:*"Never does. No, he never does. He's a great leader. He's responsible for everything the team does or fails to do. Every single win we owe it to him. Every single loss he's*always taking credit for."



    Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

    The Following 2 Users Like This Post:



  20. #440
    Member ZonaBurgh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Somewhere in Arizona
    Posts
    3,205
    Rep Power
    135
    What's Dri Archer doing now?

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Follow @SteeIerNation